How to Make the Best Nigerian Peppered Grilled Turkey Wings (Plus 9 amazing dishes to try with your turkey)
Nigerian peppered grilled turkey wings are a delicious and spicy treat that can be enjoyed on their own or with a variety of side dishes. In this blog, we are going to be looking at how to make the best peppered grilled turkey wings at home and I will be sharing nine amazing dishes that pair well with your turkey.
First, here is a recipe for Nigerian peppered grilled turkey wings that you can try:
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST PEPPERED GRILLED TURKEY WINGS RECIPES
- 8 turkey wings
- 1 big red bell pepper
- Small piece of green bell pepper
- 1 habanero pepper (scotch bonnet pepper)
- 1 red onion
- Vegetable oil
- Seasonings (add to your taste)
- 2 big seasoning cubes
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Wash all the peppers and onion, chop and separate into 3 batches.
- Clean the turkey wings.
- Put the turkey wings into a pot, add some of the onions, garlic powder, ginger powder, white pepper, thyme and seasoning cubes. Mix very well, cover and let it steam on medium heat. When the turkey wings are pale all over, add a little bit of water, cover and start cooking on medium heat. Cook for about 15 minutes, topping up the water when necessary but keep the water in the pot as small as possible at all times.
- When done, keep cooking till all the water dries up without burning. Take them out and grill/broil in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius or 400F till golden all over.
- Pour the blended peppers and onion into a clean dry pot and boil till all the water dries up.
- Add the vegetable oil into the boiled pepper, fry to a bit and add the chopped peppered and onions. Fry for about 3 minutes, add the curry powder and some salt to taste. Stir very well.
- Add the grilled/broiled turkey wings and mix till every turkey wing is coated with the pepper sauce.
- Serve on its own with a chilled drink or with the following dishes we will be discussing below.
9 Popular Nigerian Food Pairings That Go Well With Grilled Turkey Wings
All Rice Dishes: Nigeria is blessed with different types of rice from Jollof rice, to fried rice, coconut rice, white rice, rice and beans etc. The combination of any of the different kinds of flavourful rice dishes with the spicy turkey wings is sure to be a hit.
Soaked Garri: Soaked garri is a popular Nigerian snack that is made from cassava flakes. It is usually served with cold water, milk, and sugar. The combination of the spicy turkey wings and the sweet garri is a match that flows like bread and butter.
Plantains: Fried plantains are a popular Nigerian side dish that can be served with grilled turkey wings. They are sweet, savoury, and add a nice contrast to the spicy turkey wings.
Yam: Boiled or fried yam is a popular Nigerian side dish that can be served with grilled turkey wings and ata dindin. It is a great way to add some carbs to your meal.
Moi Moi: Moi Moi is a Nigerian steamed bean pudding that is made with black-eyed peas, onions, and a variety of spices. It is a great side dish for grilled turkey wings, whether alone or with Jollof rice or even with pap.
Egusi Soup: Egusi soup is a popular Nigerian soup that is made with ground melon seeds, vegetables, and spices. Egusi soup with some good pounded yam and peppered grilled turkey wings will blow your mind and leave you wanting more.
Ila Alasepo: Ila Alasepo is a Nigerian soup that is made with okra, peppers, onions, and a variety of spices. You can make your ila alasepo even richer by introducing Titus fish cuts, ponmo cuts, some offals and of course, some grilled turkey wings. Oh la la! Look for some nice wraps of Fufu or Eba and enjoy your meal. You can even enjoy the stew alone without any additional swallow.
One Pot Rice: One pot rice is a popular Nigerian rice dish that is made with rice, vegetables, spices and a variety of other stuff or which fish and turkey wings can come in. It is often found on buka menus and is sometimes called “native rice.” This is a solid standalone meal, best enjoyed straight off the stove, but is equally satisfying the next day as leftovers. The turkey wings add some rich irresistible flavour to the dish than you can imagine.
Also Read: What To Serve With Turkey Wings – 39 Side Dishes.