Goat Meat and Yam Pepper Soup that went to Harvard
Today, we're sharing a mouthwatering recipe for Goat Meat and Yam Pepper Soup that's so delicious, it could earn a spot on the Harvard dining menu! This hearty West African classic is sure to impress your taste buds and transport you to the vibrant flavors of the region. Whether you're a seasoned chef or a kitchen novice, our step-by-step guide will help you create a masterpiece that's worthy of the Ivy League.READ 12 DELICIOUS WEST AFRICAN BEANS MEALS YOU CAN TRY
For the Soup Base:
- 500g goat meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium-sized yams, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons palm oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (adjust to your spice preference)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground crayfish
- Basil – a couple of pieces Aromatic spices e.g. nutmegs, ehu seeds or ariwo
- Dry ashanti pepper leaves – two tablespoons (or scent leaves)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 liter of water or stock
- Sliced green onions
Prep the Goat Meat:
- Rinse the goat meat thoroughly under cold water.
- In a large pot, add the goat meat and cover it with water.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes to remove any impurities.
- Drain the meat and set it aside.
Prepare the Soup Base:
- Heat the palm oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger, cooking for an additional minute.
- Add the diced red bell peppers and tomatoes, allowing them to cook down until they soften.
Spice it Up:
- While the vegetables are simmering, toast the ground crayfish in a dry pan for a few minutes.
- Add the toasted spices to the pot, stirring to combine.
Create the Pepper Base:
- Remove the stems from the scotch bonnet peppers and add them to a blender with a bit of water.
- Blend until you have a smooth pepper paste.
- Pour the pepper paste into the pot and stir well.
Simmer with Goat Meat:
- Add the pre-boiled goat meat to the pot with the pepper base.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in 1 liter of water or stock, ensuring that the meat is fully submerged.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Cover the pot and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Introduce the Yams:
- Carefully add the diced yams to the soup.
- Continue simmering for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the yams are tender but not mushy.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve the Goat Meat and Yam Pepper Soup in bowls.
- Garnish each serving with fresh basil, ashanti pepper leaves, scent leaves and sliced green onions for a burst of color and freshness.READ COOKING CREATIVELY WITH INDOMIE CHICKEN FLAVOR: 7 RECIPES AND 4 TIPS
Congratulations! You've just created a Goat Meat and Yam Pepper Soup that could make any West African proud, and even impress the harshest of critics at Harvard. This rich and flavorful dish brings together the diverse tastes of West Africa and offers a glimpse into the culinary treasures of the region.
And to make matters even sweeter, you can get almost all the ingredients needed to make this masterpiece at the My Sasun African Store. We deliver to all states of the US and Canada.